Monday, June 13, 2011

Classic English Baroque - Chatsworth House

My move from London is looming eerily around the corner and as a result I have been feeling a little sentimental. While I have been very fortunate seeing and exploring the many architectural relics that England has to offer - I wanted to check just one more off my list...CHATSWORTH.

Source: http://blog.incipeindustries.com/chatsworth-house

Chatsworth is located just outside of Chesterfield in the peak district. It has been the home of the Duke and Dutchess of Devonshire since 1549 and the house in its present form can be mostly contributed to William Talman (pupil of Christopher Wren) who started refurbishment construction under the 1st Duke of Devonshire in 1687.

Unfortunately I feel as though many country houses in England have become akin to amusement parks. Chatsworth really isn't any exception, but behind the 3D documentaries and adventure playground it is hard to ignore the grandeur this house still emits.








The amazing library - nightcap anyone?

No comments:

Post a Comment