Saturday, December 10, 2011

Saturday Delight - My brush with carrot muffins!

My boyfriend is not a fan of carrot muffins. Don't ask me why - maybe boys just don't like to eat their vegetables or it could be his German disregard for anything at breakfast that does not resemble pureed meat or pumpernickel bread.

I on the other hand love their sweet and spicy goodness so while he was out I decided to whip up a batch and enjoy them all on my own.

I found this delicious and simple recipe on Epicurious and let's just say they are so good that I don't think there will be much evidence of them by the time he gets back.

The end result! 

I didn't have much parchment paper to hand, but normally I love making muffins with this type of liner. They are super easy and I love anything in the kitchen that serves double duty. To make, just cut squares approx 5'' to line 3'' muffin pans. 



Ingredients

2 cups all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking soda
2 teaspoons cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 1/4 cups sugar
1/4 pound carrots
1/2 cup pecans
1/2 cup raisins
1/4 cup sweetened flaked coconut
3 large eggs
1 cup corn oil
2 teaspoons vanilla
1 Granny Smith apple

Preparation

Preheat oven to 350°F. and oil eighteen 1/2-cup muffin cups.
Into a large bowl sift together flour, baking soda, cinnamon, and salt and whisk in sugar. Coarsely shred enough carrots to measure 2 cups and chop pecans. Add shredded carrots and pecans to flour mixture with raisins and coconut and toss well.
In a bowl whisk together eggs, oil, and vanilla. Peel and core apple and coarsely shred. Stir shredded apple into egg mixture and add to flour mixture, stirring until batter is just combined well. Divide batter among muffin cups, filling them three fourths full, and bake in middle of oven until puffed and a tester comes out clean, 15 to 20 minutes.
Cool muffins in cups on racks 5 minutes before turning out onto racks to cool completely. Muffins keep in an airtight container at room temperature 5 days.


Read More http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/Carrot-Muffins-15101#ixzz1gAV7zjYr

Recipe Source: http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/Carrot-Muffins-15101

Image Credits: 1. My own 2. http://www.sunnysideuprecipes.com/


Happy Baking! 

No comments:

Post a Comment