Sunday, January 8, 2012

Sunday Love - A Date with Granola

So with the new year in full swing I'm on a mission to make this a healthy one! What a better way to start than by whipping up some home made granola (which is gluten free to boot) - the perfect comfort food for a great morning start. I was inspired by this post  http://www.davidlebovitz.com/2009/10/granola-recipe/ , but added a few additions of my own including yummy cinnamon poppy seeds.  


My Experiment 


Ingredients

Now I do most of this by eye so measurements are approximate, but that is also why I like making granola so much! 

3 cups rolled oats
2 tbsp poppy seeds
2 tbsp sesame seeds
2 tbsp cinnamon
1/4 cup sunflower seeds
3/4 cup raisins 
2 tbsp maple syrup 
1/4 cup dark muscovado sugar 
1/2 cup apple sauce 
1/4 cup honey
2tbsp agave syrup

I really vary the sweeteners as I'm not a huge fan of a strong honey taste, so feel free to substitute. I just mix this all together and it's ready to go in the oven. Place evenly on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper (avoid aluminium foil as last time I used it and it all stuck to the bottom) and bake at 350C for approx 15-20 minutes or until golden brown. 


And Ta Da! Yummy granola to be eaten with yoghurt, milk, ice cream or just all on its lonesome! With the addition of the apple sauce and cinnamon this smells like heaven (or apple pie) while baking. Make sure to store in an airtight container so it doesn't get too dry.

I got the amazing tip of re-using old Mrs. Meyers Clean Day (http://www.mrsmeyers.com/) candle jars as the perfect travel container for breakfast from the fabulous Caitlin at Sacramento Street Blog http://www.sacramentostreet.com/



Happy New Year to Everyone and Happy Eats! 


No comments:

Post a Comment